Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Sister's Wedding: The Conversation

The Job Offer

I met my ninong and ninang before the reception began.
This is one of the rare moments that I could get to talk to them as a grown up.
We had a little talk about job opportunities in Japan...

Based from our conversation, I think that they have a recruitment firm which
trains people in Japanese language and sends them to Japan as contract workers.

She asked me if I'm interested in working in Japan.
They're currently waiting for the deal with Panasonic.
A 3-year contract, renewable, 150k yen/month, the company will shoulder
the travel and lodging expenses, a free trip back home each year of service.

JLPT

The job offer talk was relatively good.
She told me that she would contact me if the opportunity arrives.
I told her that I would think about it.

Because its a job in Japan, Nihongo skills is important.
She asked me what level I am, I told her level 4.
She told me to take level 3. I told her that I'm already
preparing for level 1 this December.

She straightforwardly told me that I could not pass it.
And added that her daughter had a hard time just passing level 2.
Her daughter happens to teach Nihongo classes as well.

She's the 1st person to tell me that, and I felt she's probably right.

Filipina

The last topic of our conversation was about my relationship.
My ninong asked me if I already have someone.
He asked if she is Japanese, Chinese, or Filipina...

I never imagine that I would met someone in their generation
that uses the word "Filipina". I was happy to know that there
are people who doesn't use "hua-na" to call Filipinos.

I made a quick research and found an article written by
a DLSU (MSA,MSE) graduate. According to the article,
the word basically means "not Chinese" and it appears to
be no written character for it. In reality, this word is used
by most Filipino-Chinese to call "maids" or "helpers".

I find the use of this word offensive and inappropriate.
I don't like using this word and I don't like people who uses
this word as well.

2 comments:

k a r e n said...

I know what it is like to be asked that question... everytime I mention I'm dating someone, the question that's almost guaranteed to follow is, "What's his background? Is he asian as well?" Funny thing is, my parents aren't the ones asking.

It's weird for me bec in the Phils, I was never asked this question... moving to Canada certainly brings forth certain questions you would never have had to answer back home.

WS said...

actually, huan-na is a term meaning barbarian...i never said it again after i found out and I always use what I think is the correct term. hui-li-pin lang, obviously you know what that means :P

cheer up. feel ko its a doozy to pass level 2 anyways...

got any more slots on that japan offer? :P