Thursday, December 13, 2007

120 Gigabytes of Ants

A couple of weeks ago, I removed a spare 120GB hard drive from my desktop. I intend to use it as a replacement of my old 40GB hard drive where my operating systems are currently installed. But since Service Pack 1 of Vista won't be available until early next year, I decided to store it in one of the shelves above my computer table.

When I got home today, weird enough, without any reason, I took it out of the anti-static plastic. A few moments later, I noticed several small red creatures moving around my hard drive... ANTS!!!

I've heard several tragic stories of ants invading hard drives and rendering them useless but it has never occurred to me that it could also happen to me. Arrrgh!!!

I've managed to drive some of them away by shaking and successively hitting the surface of my drive. I just hope that they still haven't penetrated the internals of my hard drive. >.<

What's with ants that they love nesting on hard drives?
Do they prefer bigger hard drives to store their food supplies?
Do they prefer NTFS over FAT32 formatting?

I have an older 20GB drive lying around for months without any protective covering and yet they still picked the 120GB drive. T_T

It seems that I'm not the only who has experienced this problem. Ants were actually ranked as the top 1 reason for data disasters in this recent article.

No comments: