Monday, August 25, 2008

mov (%rdp),%rcx

... that would pretty much sum up my long weekend... o_O

I ran into a serious assembly code bug when I tried building and running a month's coding changes under 64-bit openSUSE Linux.

Good thing that Rajah provided me with some very useful GDB debugging techniques before he went to Bohol for a vacation. :P

I spent most of the weekend, debugging, thinking, learning assembly, shopping for PC components, playing Guitar Hero, and more debugging... :D

And for some side stories...

My Inno3D video card fan stopped again, for the nth time this month. I took it out and went to PCX to have it checked or possibly replaced, but the tech support guy told me that they don't do replacement if the item was purchased more than a month ago.

Although the warranty still applies, the shop won't replace it right away, they had to ship it back to the supplier for testing, which would probably take 4 weeks, at the very least. o_O

He suggested that I check the IT shops in Gilmore to find a replacement fan, which I'll probably in the coming days. :D

Since I was expecting something like that to happen, I just bought some upgrade components for my desktop. Additional 2GB DDR2-800 memory modules. :P

==========

When I got home from PCX, I took a quick shower and prepared for a message massage session. The old masseuse was referred by my sister's boyfriend. Gene's family is a regular customer of the old lady. She was also here last week but I declined because I had to do some work.

After almost an hour of joint twisting, muscle bending, bone cracking, I was feeling relaxed and energized again... :P

The masseuse discovered my injured ankle which I myself never noticed. Although it's been aching from time to time, I just kept on ignoring it.

==========

Back to my work area, I installed the 2GB memory modules and booted my machine just to be greeted by a black screen and 100% CPU usage. I tried reinstalling the Linux NVIDIA drivers several times using different methods but all of them failed. :(

I resorted to re-installing Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) then installed the NVIDIA driver. But it failed again. :(

I spent another 2 hours searching for possible solutions in the forums. Tried several BIOS configurations like suggested in the threads, but they all failed. :(

With no concrete leads, I decided to revert back to my original configuration, then put the memory modules one at a time. The 2GB and 3GB configurations worked fine, so it's 4GB configuration that really screws my setup. >:(

I continued to search through the forums, this time with a specific issue. One thread mentioned something about upgrading the BIOS. Although it's for a different motherboard, I figured it might just solve my problem. O:)

After bumping my board's (GA-MA69GM-S2H) BIOS firmware to F5, the NVIDIA driver for Linux miraculously worked. Ha ha ha!

2 comments:

donna marie said...

I took a quick shower and prepared for a message session

a message session? or massage? :P

Unknown said...

ha ha ha...

seems that my fingers unconsciously typed a different word again... :P