Monday, August 11, 2008

Crazy Day: Part 1

August 8, 2008

Sometimes bizarre things happen when you least expect it. And if you're "lucky" enough, they would occur one after another. It seemed that someone up there wanted to make fun of me.

Before I continue, I would like to congratulate the new couple, Carlo and Sheila, and wish them a wonderful married life. :)

It started like a regular Friday, I woke up at around 6:30AM, still tempted to go back to sleep, but I had a wedding to attend to.

Good thing than San Agustin Church was relatively near from my place so I didn't have to get up very early. Since I wasn't sure if I could still remember the place, I alloted an hour to get there.

I reached the San Agustin a little past 8, and met up with Jasmine and some old NSP friends. We waited for a few minutes until Carlo and Sheila arrived.

Everything seemed to be OK until Jasmine asked me (after Carlo asked her) if I could do the 1st reading for the mass, to which I "willingly" agreed.

When I received the copy of the missalette, I was shocked to discover that it was in Filipino. Not that I don't speak the language fluently, it's just that I'm not used with the selection of words.

Some of them are really difficult to pronounce even for a native speaker. I was worried that I might laugh or utter something stupid in the middle. Anyhow, I went on to silently rehearse the lines, and identified the proper location of pauses and places of emphasis. :-S

After a few more minutes, the church/wedding assistants told me to take a seat in front so I did. I waited anxiously as the bridal entourage marched down the aisle. Clueless of the things to come.

The moment the priest started the mass, one of the church assistant approached me and asked me who will be doing the Salmong Tugunan (Responsorial Psalm, not a kind of fish). I told her I don't know. :-?

She consulted with the Namumuno (Leader, not a logger), then went back to tell me that I should also do that part. I was shocked, for the second time. o_O

Although shaky at first, I did manage to complete the 1st Reading and Responsorial Psalm without laughing or doing anything stupid. Whew!

I'm beginning to feel a little relaxed until the church assistant approached me again and asked me to do the Intercession (Is this correct?) part as well. It just keeps getting better and better. o_O

And that was the last of my attempts to embarrass myself, inside the church. Unfortunately, it did not end there...

To be continued...

P.S. I don't regret my participation in the wedding rites, it was actually fun. I even got a nice view of Carlo and Sheila, and the rest of the guests seated in front. I just find it a little weird and funny, that someone who never goes to church got involved in this kind of situation.

No comments: