Thursday, January 10, 2008

2008: Building My Future

I'm back with my 1st entry for 2008... :)

I gave myself enough time to think about my plans for this year. I've spent the past few days reflecting on my thoughts, recalling my decisions last year, observing my daily routines, studying my spending patterns, understanding my desires, and realizing my needs.

Here's my guide for 2008...
Comments and suggestions are welcome...

Start...
  • Paying for condo down payment - I've already allocated a portion of my monthly salary for this but it is better if I could save enough money this year so I wouldn't have to worry next year.

  • Tracking and controlling my expenses - With great "spending" power comes great "saving" responsibility.

  • Paying my taxes - With great "spending" power comes great "taxes" as well. I better put it on a separate bank account so I won't be able to spend it "accidentally".

  • Taking over some of the bills - Since I'll be spending most of my time working at home it's just appropriate for me to pay for the additional resources I'm consuming.

  • Studying robotics - I should spend more time poking with the robot I bought from Sir Melvin last December.

  • Getting a Linux Certification - I failed to do this last year but I guess there's a greater chance for me to get it this year.
Stop...
  • Procrastinating - As always, I still need to remind myself not to delay the things that I've always wanted to do and accomplish.

  • Oversleeping - My sleeping pattern changes with the weather but it's not an excuse for me to keep on hitting that snooze button whenever my alarm goes off.

  • Staying up late - This is probably the main cause of my tendency to oversleep. It's also bad for my health so I should start sleeping earlier.

  • Wasting time spacing out - Daydreaming has been a part of my daily routine, I should convert those unproductive time to something useful.
Continue...
  • Paying for life insurance/investment - Hopefully, nothing bad happens to me this year.

  • Playing badminton - With my friends of course.

  • Reading books/magazines - I have yet to finish some of the books I've started reading last year. And, I should also start going over the December and January issues of Linux Magazines. I'll probably renew my Linux Magazine subscription.

  • Supporting World Vision - And maybe get another child to sponsor.

  • Traveling - We'll probably settle with local destinations for now due to budget reasons.

  • Catching up with old friends - It's better if I could go out with my high school and college friends more often this year.

  • House cleaning - Due to the sheer amount of decade old stuffs lying around the house, it would probably take me a couple of months to clear them.
Think about...
  • Getting a Canon S5IS Camera - I've really enjoyed using my Canon S2IS and I think it's about time for an upgrade. My target date would be May (1 Year after release date).

  • Getting a Wii Console - No time frame for this one, hopefully the price drops dramatically in the next few weeks or months. I still have to consider the integrity of the structure of our half-century old house though.

  • Getting a Mobile Hard Drive - I don't want 7+ years worth data and 2+ years worth of photos to just disappear due to some electrical accident or ant invasion. This is my top priority for now.

  • Taking some training courses - I still have to think of some thing that I would like to learn.
Looks like it's going to be an interesting year for me... :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. It's gonna be an interesting year. We live in interesting times. =)

Unknown said...

Here Here!

k a r e n said...

A few of your items are on my list too and I'm determined to save more and spend less. Part of my income also goes to my life insurance (should something bad happen to me... *knocking on wood*). I find that it also helps if you have a savings account that automatically debits a certain amount of money from your bank account on a regular basis you don't have to worry about it.

Here in Canada, old age pension, cpp (compensation for unemployment) and of course income tax automatically get deducted from our income. And then every year we file for tax reimbursements based on our salary and any other expenses (ie. medical) and then we get a certain percentage of our taxes back. For everything that we buy (items or food) we also have to pay 5% GST and 8% PST on top of it so we're always paying taxes..yeesh.