Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tech Support Mode

Nothing beats a series of network problems in the middle of the night. Imagine the pressure that you have to endure, just to make sure that everything will be operational before tomorrow's work starts.

I'm lucky that I no longer have to be that guy. I can just stay on the sidelines, giving technical support and advice over the phone, while still doing what I enjoy most. Figuring out problems and thinking of solutions and making them work.

It would be much easier though, if I had remote access to the servers. I like dealing with problems hands-on. For now, I'll have to settle with just imagining my interaction with the Linux terminal and let the guy on the other line do his job.

After nearly 2 hours, most of the major problems were fixed. Hopefully, everything will be back to normal tomorrow like nothing happened tonight.

It was tiring, not only for me. But it was worth the time and effort.
Experience would still be your best teacher.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just because you're necessary doesn't mean you're important - http://www.despair.com

2 comments:

jeson walalang said...

"Figuring out problems and thinking of solutions and making them work."

reminds me of House, M.D. :D

k a r e n said...

I wish I was gaining programming experience... it's been sleeping since I moved here.. sad.

I love the last line of your post... the quote at the bottom. =P