Saturday, November 24, 2007

Desperation: Part 2

After several months, I find myself trying to recall the conversation I had with my uncle a few months back. To my disappointment, I could no longer remember all the details of what we've discussed that time.

This post is the continuation of my previous entry here.

So, why my uncle? Probably because he's the only one qualified to do so. He's the only one among the siblings who I should say became successful career wise.

Why not my parents? For a couple of reasons: They weren't trained that way. They didn't want to take the risk. And they just couldn't do the job. Cause they probably thought that I might kill myself in the process. Ha ha... I may actually be able to use that to my advantage. Manipulation 101. >:)

Basically, he insisted to me it's impossible to get their approval. He was once in the same situation but he gave up then went to Taiwan where he met his wife and established his own family. But who said I need their approval? If they don't like it, then they have to deal with it. :P

Based from our conversation, it is pretty obvious that he is really not happy with his family right now. That's why he advised me not to get married soon. Hey, I never mentioned that I'm getting married soon!

I don't remember how our conversation ended, but surely, it's much better than that of my dad. My dad has NO ability to make good conversations.

Reflecting on those exchange of words, I got a few important thoughts...
  • Respect, is earned by an individual through his actions towards others, not by his social status, affiliation, nor origin.

  • We can't and shouldn't try to have everything in life, but we could always make the most out of what we have.

  • We shouldn't blame anybody for our miseries, they may have indirectly caused us some troubles, but in the end, it is what we do about it that really matters.

  • Real happiness, comes from within, and not given nor dictated by the actions of others.
Essentially, everything revolves around fear. Fear that their friends might laugh at them. Fear that I will lose all my money. Fear that I will have a broken family. Fear that nobody will take care of them when they get really old.

They've already wasted 50 years of their lives living in fear. I've also shared 20 of those years living in the very same things they've feared. But I'm not going to continue doing that. I'm taking control of every aspect of my life.

No comments: