Sunday, September 09, 2007

Reasons for Resignation

A lot of people seems to be wondering why I've decided to leave my current employer. Several weeks before I handed my resignation, I've been weighing out different options. At one point, I even thought of quiting IT.

Until now, I'm still finding reasons that would justify my decision. So far, here are the most important ones.

1. Time
Life could sometimes be unexpectedly short, that's a fact. I've always thought mine would be shorter than I wanted it to be. So I wanted to make the most out of every possible moment. But I won't be able to do that if I'm stuck in the office for 12 hours a day, and in some worst cases, 7 days a week.

I wanted to spend my time doing things other than office work; Trying out new stuffs, possibly learning new skills and discovering new talents... >:)

Ultimately, I wanted to spend more time with my family, friends, and myself.

2. Health
Those countless overtime's have taken its toll on my body. I can no longer afford to pick up some immunity related disease every time a project phase ends.

My eyes are not getting any better either. Just 2 months after I got my new prescription glasses, it seems that it has gotten worse again. I can't imagine myself going almost blind.

This time, I'm banking on my health.

3. Money

As of this moment, I don't have any major expenses. Most of my salary goes to my life insurance and investment in Sun Life. Whatever is left goes to my daily expenses, food, travel, entertainment and some PC parts. A small amount also goes to World Vision.

I also provide my youngest sister's allowance. She's a freshman student. Other than that, I don't have any major contribution to our household expenses. This is one of the things that make "them" feel that they should be in control of every aspect of our lives. That is why I wanted to take over some of the household expenses.

Lastly, I wanted to save so that I could have my own house in a few years time. Hopefully, within the next 5 years... :)

No comments: