Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Globe Tattoo on Fedora 11

Finally got my hands on a Huawei E1552 USB Modem (disguised as Globe Tattoo with a cheap sticker). With the help of this article, I quickly got it working under my Fedora 11 (x86_64) machine.

But I needed to make some minor tweaks:
  • Change the APN from internet.globe.com.ph to http.globe.com.ph
  • Change DNS servers to OpenDNS servers (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)
Globe, from my experience, is notoriously "reliable" when it comes to their DNS servers.

My initial usage experience with Globe Tattoo was average at best. According to www.speedtest.net, my average download speed is around 400kbps which translates to 50KB/s. It was far better than I what expected it to be, however, just like the sales personnel had "warned" me, the signal indeed fluctuates, A LOT.

Apparently, the 5 Pesos for every 15 minutes means that you'll ONLY have 15 minutes of stable Internet connection. :P

No comments: