Sunday, June 01, 2008

Really Sad News

Friday afternoon, I received an SMS message from Dominic, informing me that his dad had passed away (Morning of May 30). I was shocked to hear the bad news, and for a while, could not think of a proper way to respond.

Wilfredo Dandan, 50, fell asleep while on his way to San Juan Municipal Hall and never woke up. The taxi driver rushed him to a nearby hospital, where they attempted to revive him. However, it was already too late, and he was announced dead-on-arrival.

Dominic is a good friend from college. Our houses are just few blocks apart. He was my jeepney buddy for 4 years. By his request, I contacted CJ and Carlo, our college buddies, and arranged a meeting so I could bring them to the funeral house on Saturday or Sunday.

On my way home, I went his father's wake in Lorenzo Funeral Homes, just a block away from our house. I stayed there until 12AM, before heading home. I also had a chance to talk to Dominic, Marilen and also Dominic's aunt. Dominic told me what happened earlier that day, while his aunt shared her experiences in her courageous battle and triumph over cancer.

The following morning (Saturday), I met Carlo and CJ at UST and accompanied them to Lorenzo. We had lunch there and stayed for until 1PM. We shared a couple stories on some recent updates on our lives. The last time we had a chance to this was way back in college.

It was nice to see them again after a long time, but as Dominic would put it, it could have been a lot nicer if the circumstances were not sorrowful.

My deepest condolences to the Dandan family for their lost.

To Mr. Wilfredo Dandan, may you rest in peace.

1 comment:

k a r e n said...

Thanks for posting this and letting us know about Dom's father. I'm so sorry to hear that he has passed away.